So for the more recent sub­stan­tial chunk of time I have been neglect­ing this project, main­ly pro­cras­ti­nat­ing by play­ing with Zookeepr code. Over the last month I’ve churned almost 20k lines of code, though not all com­mit­ted yet. Which is a rel­a­tive­ly pro­duc­tive way of being spec­tac­u­lar­ly unpro­duc­tive.

The big news is that I was select­ed to speak at the next I con­fess this was a bit of a sur­prise, my long term plan was to sub­mit pro­pos­als to a few venues this year and hope­ful­ly speak in 2017. Spec­tac­u­lar suc­cess on that front does change the microwave plan slight­ly as it com­mits me to hav­ing a demon­stra­ble pro­to­type — so I’ve shift­ed my project reeval­u­a­tion point fur­ther down the game plan and split the pro­to­type sec­tion into two halves with an eval­u­a­tion point between the cheap and expen­sive halves.

To sup­port this shift I have restruc­tured my plans around the basic pro­to­type. I have set the final vision and the order of steps to achieve it.

As the base I will use a Pana­son­ic NN-SF550W Microwave, this is a basic microwave that fea­tures an invert­ed pow­er sup­ply and mag­netron as well as a flatbed and stir­rer. I will replace the dis­play with a screen and touch­screen, the proces­sor with a banana pi. The pow­er sup­ply and door sen­sors will be inte­grat­ed with the proces­sor. Both the Pana­son­ic Grid-Eye and Seek Ther­mal cam­eras will be mount­ed into the roof, I may only con­nect one at a time. A set of scales will be built into the floor of the microwave, prob­a­bly using the exist­ing base plate. Soft­ware of some sort will tie all the com­po­nents togeth­er though it may not be pret­ty.

Work plan

At a rough esti­mate I’m look­ing at 2–3 months work to get a fea­ture com­plete franken-pro­to­type. There is also sig­nif­i­cant delay time in there to acquire new com­po­nents to play with.

The groups of work are:
* Screen
* Touch
* Scales
* Seek­Ther­mal
* Grid­Eye
* Invert­er
* Oth­er elec­tron­ics
* OS Soft­ware

The Gantt chart below breaks it out into a bit more detail with some rough tim­ing. I have only stag­gered out the next two weeks because I expect pre­dict­ing that far out is ambi­tious, fur­ther would be sil­ly.

I’ve also used a dif­fer­ent pro­gram to gen­er­ate the gantt chart with a dif­fer­ent style of export, try­ing out Gnome Plan­ner instead of Gantt Project. I con­fess I don’t real­ly like either of them.

Gantt Chart

view fullscreen