So I cheat­ed a bit and pushed the dead­line out a week. While much of the check­list is done the project over­all is nowhere near where I hoped it would be. The issue I think was that I assumed that I would be pro­duc­tive for the whole week­end but it turns out I actu­al­ly do do social stuff and reg­u­lar main­te­nance like clean­ing or iron­ing. Look­ing back I think I com­mit­ted about half the time I expect­ed to.

Tax website screenshot showing layout

Tax web­site screen­shot

Target features

  • Tem­plat­ing sys­tem

    Check. Using TT2 as described ear­li­er. The tem­plat­ing isn’t com­plete but I was
    always plan­ning on grow­ing it as I went. Sad­ly it doesn’t prop­er­ly imple­ment the
    pri­ma­tives I’m using but It’s good to start with a win, even if you steal it.

  • Basic lay­out

    Check. To start off with I had a ghast­ly colour scheme of dif­fer­ent shades of red and rough­ly the lay­out I end­ed up with. I read on one of those innu­mer­able web­site design blogs that colour schemes are impor­tant. All the clas­sic mood stuff, red is firey and aggre­sive, white is seri­ous, bor­ing and reli­able. Reli­able seems like a good mood for a tax web­site but black and white is a bit too hard for some­one as inept as I to pull off. So I went with a cream back­ground and a yellow/browny sec­ondary colour.

  • Func­tion­al data entry

    Check. This works pret­ty well actu­al­ly, change an input box and it’s imme­di­ate­ly pushed to the serv­er. Not per­fect (none of the code is), notably it’s not ful­ly back­ground­ed so you get a slight delay.

  • Javascript data check­ing

    Fail. I didn’t get around to try­ing this.

  • Server­side stor­age

    Check. I went with Mon­goDB and it’s going well so far. End­ed up hav­ing to write a very sim­ple PHP script to expose the DB to the Javascript, pri­mar­i­ly authen­ti­ca­tion wrap­ping.

  • Basic cal­cu­la­tions

    Par­tial. I have some cal­cu­la­tions work­ing but it’s not a reusable struc­ture.

  • Inde­pen­dent domain name

    Fail. The project isn’t far along enough to be use­ful yet so the domain isn’t impor­tant, so I’m mark­ing this as a fail but don’t care. I also couldn’t find a free name I liked.

  • Pub­lic source repos­i­to­ry

    Check.http://github.com/lod/Australian-Tax-Return

Maybe features

  • Client side encryp­tion

    Fail. Didn’t start on this.

  • User login sys­tem

    Check. Pret­ty easy to imple­ment with the DB lay­er in place. I don’t have user
    cre­ation work­ing yet but that is actu­al­ly a fair­ly small amount of work.

  • Basic per­son­al tax pack cov­ered

    Fail. I’m nowhere near achiev­ing this, it’s crazy how much they cram into a few pages.

  • Client side PDF gen­er­a­tion

    Fail. Didn’t start on this.